Saturday, June 05, 2004

Chicken Fettucini Alfredo

This is one of my best recipes...it took me a few months to get it right, and I promptly gained 20 pounds afterward. This is one of the dishes I like to prepare for family and friends when they visit. (Hint, hint.)

Sorry I didn't post this one sooner, Willis. I'm a dope.

-----

Chicken Fettuccini Alfredo

2 boneless chicken breasts
1/4 C Newman's Own Family Recipe Italian salad dressing
1 pint table cream
1 stick butter or margarine
2 T. cream cheese
1/3 C. grated Parmesian cheese
1/2 t. garlic powder
1 T. dried parsley
1 t. dried oregano
fettuccini noodles

Place the chicken breasts in a Ziploc bag, add salad dressing. Seal and marinate overnight, or for at least 4 hours.

In a double boiler, saucepan, or small crock pot, combine cream, butter, and cream cheese. Cook over LOW heat until all is melted, do not allow to boil. Stir in garlic powder, Parmesian cheese, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer over VERY LOW heat for 30 minutes.

While alfredo sauce is cooking, grill the chicken over charcoal until done, and boil fettuccini noodles until tender. Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces, place over fettuccini noodles, and ladel alfredo sauce on top. Garnish with grated Romano and dried oregano, if desired. Serve immediately with hot bread and white wine...I recommend Pinot Gris.

VARIATIONS: For less-fattening alfredo sauce, use half-and-half instead of cream, use fat-free cream cheese, and use fat-free margarine instead of butter. It won't be as good, but it will have fewer calories.

Spinach Alfredo: when you add the Parmesan cheese, stir in a half cup of well-chopped spinach.

No comments: